Thursday, July 29, 2010

No Spring Chicken

The other night, I was playing with my dog on the football field by the local elementary school. There were a few kids hanging out at the playground next door, two boys and three girls, and I'd place them into the 12-15 year-old age range. One boy in a wife-beater and ball cap shouted something at me, but I ignored it, put the dog's leash back on him, and started for home.

As I was walking up the street, I noticed that the same boy was following me, so I turned when he called out this time.

Boy: "Hey!"
Me: "What?"
Boy: "How old are you?"
Me: (Considered making a sassy comment, but decided that the best way to get rid of him was to tell him the truth.) "Twenty-nine."

The kid actually shrank back in horror, then waved me off and turned towards his friends. I laughed and went on my way, but I was still close enough to hear him yell to the other kids on the playground:

"SHE'S OLD!!!"

Yes. Yes I am. Now get off my lawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment