Sunday, November 11, 2012

I'll be seeing you.



This is a picture of my grandfather. He was 21 years old, serving as an MP in General Patton's 4th Armored Division in Europe during WWII. He passed away two weeks ago at the age of 89.

We shared a middle name, a love of dry roasted sunflower seeds, and a belief in the importance of honesty, reliability, and service to one's community. I never once heard him say the words "I love you" to me or anyone else in my family... but he was a man for whom actions spoke louder than words. If he loved you, you knew it. I miss him today, and I'll miss him for the rest of my life.

On this Veterans Day, I thought I'd do a little post in his honor. He wasn't much for goodbyes; he always said "I'll be seeing you." That was also the title to one of his favorite songs, which was published in 1938 and became a beloved anthem for American and British soldiers serving overseas during WWII. I think of him whenever I hear it.

Ill be seeing you;
In all the old, familiar places;
That this heart of mine embraces;
All day through.

In that small cafe;
The park across the way;
The childrens carousel;
The chestnut tree;
The wishing well.

Ill be seeing you;
In every lovely, summers day;
And everything that's bright and gay;
Ill always think of you that way;
Ill find you in the morning sun;
And when the night is new;
Ill be looking at the moon;
But I'll be seeing you.

3 comments:

  1. Ah, we too are a family that never says I love you, it's a generational thing I think. What a lovely tribute to your grandfather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Whitney, this made me year up. My grandpa was the exact same way. I miss both of my grandpas terribly - it was an amazing generation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How nice that you have such fond memories of your grandfather. Sometimes there are no words and sometimes they are just not necessary.

    ReplyDelete